Monday, November 5, 2007

Southern Utah

Over the 3 day weekend I got to see Southern Utah and Arizona. We spent the night's in St. George but during the day we were everywhere. We would drive to the Grand Canyon and marveled at how BIG and deep it was, I just about wet my pants walking on the trail, then we went ot Zion's and drove through that, then we slept. Then we drove to some sandstone and climbed that, after we went swiming, that was a major opposite. The last day we went to Cedar Break, by Bryce Canyon, and we drove home. I started to realize how cool Southern Utah, Northern Arizona is.

My brother tells me that in Utah Studies they learned that all 5 National Parks in Utah are in Southern Utah. It was cool to go see some of them. I think that most of the national parks in Utah have a "rock" sort of theme, but St. George has some really cool rocks. I saw a lot of cool rock formations that make them cool like Bryce, a bunch of pointy rocks in the same canyon, Zion had a bunch of cool tall rocks, and the Grand Canyon was insane! It was by far the coolest canyon I've ever seen. I knew that it was an incredible thing to see, but to be there was awesome. You looked down into it and thought that it would never end and that you weren't worthy to live again unless you shot yourself or something. I think that it was a neat experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat, but man has also made some cool things in that part of the state.

On the way home we stopped and did some go-karts and that was really fun and I started to wonder, "Why do people live in St. Geoge if it doesn't have very much water?" How did th immigrants decide to just stop in the deseret? They could have gone on to California or even to Mexico and instead they chose the hard way of life. Nowadays it's no big deal to go to St. George and enjoy yourself but how did we ever get to that point? Some pioneer or mountain man was too tired to care where he ended up?

Whatever the reason is, I'm glad they did stop so we could see all those cool sites.

1 comment:

Brain said...

People live in St. George because when the pioneers moved here Brigham Young told some Saints to settle there.