Friday, February 22, 2008

How Electives Help

Have you ever liked a class because it was different from the rest? Well what if someone voted to try and take away those classes? The thing is there are people right now trying to do that. I think that most teenagers would agree with me that they really like their elective classes because it is different from the classes they were taking in grade school. I think that we should have our elective classes in school.

I remember going to gym and kids would ask questions about their classes. Few asked about the core classes. Most questions about what was happening in their elective class that day. Teenagers need elective classes so that they feel like they are really learning something new from other students. Many take teen living to help them become a parent. Also, teenagers need to get a head start at what may end up being their career.

Many times the teachers in core classes are not very fun. My memories of great teachers involve 2 core teachers and the rest have been all been found in my electives. I really enjoy the way that my band teacher would make us want to play our instruments the best that we could. My Spanish teacher made studying foreign languages a lot of fun. I also remember my math teacher once was a very controlling, strict man that was doing math for the love of it alone, and had little interest in his classes.

I know that you are thinking right now, “Well I have really enjoyed my core classes and the teachers,” or, “My favorite class was always English.” There are many teens however that are no to thrilled to go to a class that is not very fun. In theater you work, work, work and rehearse, rehearse, rehearse, and then you have the privilege to perform in front of the whole school! In Spanish you can learn a foreign language so that you can go to a foreign country for a cruise and not worry about someone who doesn’t understand you. I think that many times a twist in classes can spice up your day and really give you something to look forward to.

I am adamant that we, teenagers, need electives. Many of us are looking ahead to our jobs and many of us can decide by an elective class we took as a freshman. I truly believe that many fellow teens would be devastated if they were to lose there freedom to choose classes, ability to harbor a talent and perform in a school function and their ability to look for a fun teacher.

No comments: